Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Monday Morning Musings: Duck Index


Muse Upon This:


Keep Your Duck Index at 7 or Above


One of my favorite yoga teachers is Judith Lasater. She has a quirky sense of humor and a lovely way to describe being conscious in the world. She firmly believes we need to feel good about all we do so our actions are full of love. She has what she calls her “Duck Index”. (By the way, I am not sure why it is called the “Duck Index.”) Her Duck Index ranges from 1-10, with 1 representing not feeling good at all and 10 feeling fabulous. She says she never does anything unless she feels a 7 or above about it or either she will pay or she will make someone else pay... think about it. It is true, isn’t it? You resent doing something you don’t want to do so either you are miserable or you make someone else miserable. What do you want to put out into the world? A consciousness of feeling bad or good (God)?

Read my comment to find out more about how Judith uses her Duck Index. Her idea is fabulous and so usable! How and where will you use your Duck Index?

4 comments:

@MuseLaura said...

So, if someone comes to her with a proposal that she doesn’t want to do, she asks for more information. For example, if her husband says, let’s go to dinner and a movie and she was looking forward to spending the evening home, her duck index might be a 5. So she says, “Hmmmm...seduce me with your needs.” If he says, “I miss you and would love to spend some time with you,” her Index may jump to an 8. If he says, “I don’t want to make dinner,” she may stay at a 5 and not go forward. How much fun would she be if she went with him and didn’t want to be there?

She also adds that once her Duck Index dips below a 4, she secludes herself until she feels better because she doesn’t want her consciousness touching others.

Marya said...

I've heard Judith describe this before and had forgotten about it! It would have come in handy a couple of nights ago. We had chosen to get some premade food from our friends catered food night at a local joint. At first I wanted to go out but my mood wasn't that great and I wasn't sure why. My husband kept offering to pick up the food and bring it home. Back and forth I waffled. I finally agreed on having him bring the food home which worked out just fine in the end. Maybe I could have saved myself some of indecision by going straight to the duck index. I was trying to decide from a logical standpoint and forgot to check in with my feelings!

Beth said...

I had a really low duck index today as I was faced with working on our income taxes. I took a few minutes to do some of my favorite yoga poses (involving some gentle backbending), took a deep breath and realized how great it was going to be next weekend when I will have most of the work accomplished! Little did I know that I was just elevating my duck index!

@MuseLaura said...

Beth, I love it!!