Thursday, November 27, 2008

Monday Morning Musings

Muse Upon This:

What can you give today?


The Law of Giving: “Wherever I go, and whoever I encounter, I will bring them a gift. The gift may be a compliment, a flower, or a prayer. I will gratefully receive all gifts that life has to offer me. Each time I meet someone, I will silently wish them happiness, joy, and laughter.” (Deepak Chopra, The Seven Laws of Spiritual Success)

I love the description of giving Dr. Chopra states here. There is so much more to giving than things we have brought. And an important aspect is to also gratefully receive that which you have been given. In the spirit of Dr. Chopra’s definition of giving, what can you give today?

5 comments:

@MuseLaura said...

I joined, along with the other Muses, an online community centered around giving. The community is called 29-Day Giving (http://givingchallenge.ning.com/ -- look for me. I am YogaLaura). The purpose is to consciously give for 29-Days and record what you have done. My participation has certainly expanded my definition of giving. I had “counted” many of the ways I was giving because it seemed to me I needed to do something specifically. I didn’t even see the many ways I was already giving. My focus for the next week will be on receiving gifts gratefully, to feel the gratitude deeply in my heart and allow my responses to come from there.

@MuseKaren said...

I love this! Whenever I am speaking with someone, I will look them directly in the eye and smile. I will also smile at everyone I see today.

Beth said...

I will give presence--my presence. It is such a busy time of the year and I often find my mind rushing ahead to the next thing I think I need to accomplish on my "list" instead of truly paying attention and listening to others. So I will try to be more present in my interactions with others. Listening well to someone else is a gift for the listener also.

Marya said...

Over the last couple of days I have given myself the gift of rest and I have given so much to my little one who has been sick. Think time, attention, soothing, comforting. I also gave a big, warm, embracing hug to someone I haven't been able to hug like that in a long time. Last night I gave my insights and experience and advice. hmmm, what will I give today?

Tracy said...

This quote resonates so much for me. I have been living and practicing many of the ideas in this quote though not always in a conscious way. I plan to be more conscious and present in my giving.
I will make sure to make eye contact, smile and send joyous energy to everyone I encounter.